[LVS] Community Map discuss here:

[LVS] Community Map discuss here:

Postby koffie » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:18 pm

When I was exploring the world in search of a fresh ocean shore, with a map in my hand - which I use to find my way back home - I stumbled across an inactive player's base. On the wall of their base was a 5x4 grid of zoomed out maps, half of which I had just traveled through myself. And I realised many players will have a wall/floor of maps displayed like this. Wouldn't it be nice if we could share them with eachother?

This gave me the idea of the community map project.

The goal of this project is dor Zedlings to share maps they already have or would explore anyway. The goal is NOT to fill in the complete map, since that would ruin fresh chunks for future minecraft versions.

The world currently is 44k blocks wide, and a zoomed out map is 2048 blocks wide, so the area to display it needs to be 22x22 blocks plus some room for possible future groth. To prevent abuse from griefers the community map should be accessible for Zedlings only. To discourage filling in maps for the sole purpose of creating maps, sharing maps should be free. So filled in maps have no added market value. In other words the community map should not become an salable item in the shop. So I searched for a place with enough space, restricted access, but no permission restrictions. And found it in the Savannah nether hub.

Because the community map will contain many maps, I came up with a naming system for the maps. This way we can easily see which part of the world the map displays. The name of the map follows from any coordinate on the map. And with the name of the map you can also calculate back to which coordinates it covers.

I've set up the rules as follows: (I welcome your comments)

----------------------
Rules:

1. All maps in the community map should be named*. [*see Name System]
2. All Zedlings are allowed to make copies of the community map.
3. All Zedlings are allowed to add missing maps.
4. Maps Already in the community map may NOT be replaced
5. Take it easy on the banners.

Name System:

All map names are of the form: (Nx,Nz)
In which Nx is the map number on the East-West axis.
And Nz is the map number on the South-North axis.
For example: (2,5), or (-3,10), and so on.

The coordinate (0,y,0) is on map (0,0).

Your map's name follows from any coordinate (x,y,z) on your map where
Nx = (x-64)/2048 and Nz = (z-64)/2048 in which all numbers should be rounded downwards.

For expample Savannah Springs is at (5911,y,5815) the name of this map will follow from:
Nx = (5911-64)/2048 = 2.8549 and Nz = (5815-64)/2048 = 2.8081
Rounded down the map name will be (2,2)

River Bend is at (-2408,y,-3681) which gives:
Nx = (-2408-64)2048 = -1.2070 and Nz = (-3681-64)/2048 = -1.8206
Rounded down the map name will be (-2,-2)

----------------------

In the counsil meeting some players mentioned they would like a place to show unzoomed maps of their bases to eachother. And they wondered if the community map should be a zoomed out version of the complete world or an unzoomed maps of bases only. This zoomed out community map of the world does not supersede the unzoomed display of bases. These projects can run parallel with eachother. And when there is enough interest we can make space for it in the Community Map room.

I welcome your thoughts, worries and comments on this project. Although not officially open, Zedlings can check out the Community Map in the red wing of the Savannah nether hub to get an impression for what it can be like.

koffie

Minecraft IGN: koffie

Return to General Discourse