[LVS|Zz] Minecraft 1.17!

[LVS|Zz] Minecraft 1.17!

Postby Zedwick » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:43 pm

With a new version of Minecraft coming up, I thought I could give you some insight into what I'm doing behind the scenes to prepare for it.

Java 16

Minecraft currently requires Java 8, which is now over 7 years old. Mojang has decided to make Java 16 a requirement from Minecraft 1.17 onwards. You shouldn't need to worry about this when running your clients from the official launcher, as Mojang handle your java versions for you. For servers, we need to make sure we are running the correct version. This would ordinarily not be too complicated, we are already running Java 11 (which is an LTS or Long Term Support release). However, Zestygames complicates this a bit.

Our Zestygames run on a range of Minecraft versions, which can sometimes not agree on which version of Java they need. Older versions of MC, pre-1.12.2, cannot run on java 11. I will need to extensively test the older Minecraft versions to make sure they are compatible with Java 16. I also plan to build in support to Zestygames so it can handle the disparate java version requirements across different minigame servers, which will likely require writing a new wrapper to handle launching the servers.

Resource Dimension

Although Part 1 of Caves & Cliffs will have some new content to explore new chunks for, the majority of generation changes are coming in Part 2 when the basic laws of the universe will be upended by the addition of negative y values! We do still have new areas to explore in our overworld, but generating lots of new chunks to find a few new materials just isn't sustainable in the long-term for our server.

So, with 1.17 we will be trying out a new feature to provide access to all the new content of this update, and hopefully all future updates. We will be adding a new Resource Dimension! I have a few requirements for this resource dimension, including:

• Must have a unique seed
  • Must be able to regenerate regularly, with a fresh seed each time
  • Players who are in the resource dimension when it resets will be safe, with no risk to losing their items or their life due to terrain changes after a dimension regeneration.
  • Players can enter and leave the resource dimension whenever they like, without the use of commands.
To accomplish the above I am creating a new datapack to create the dimension and handle players in the dimension, and also writing a script to handle resetting the dimension and changing the seed.

Breaking changes to datapacks

LVS, and to an extent also Zz, is powered by several datapacks which need to be kept up to date with new versions. 1.17 is introducing a few breaking changes which would affect various systems. I am in the process of going through each datapack and rewriting the affected functions, predicates, advancements and loot tables.

One example is the VillagerItemCollector datapack which allows Villagers on LVS to pick up food with the mobGriefing gamerule set to false. The datapack is public and open source, you can monitor the status of 1.17 support here and are welcome to contribute.

SkyGrid

This update has a lot of great new materials, but I know some are disappointed by the delay to the second part of the update. So between the release of Part 1 and Part 2 I will be releasing a public SkyGrid world for everyone to play, which will be up to date with all of the latest blocks!

I originally created our SkyGrid plugin for Zestyland where we played it with all of the Zesties, but this time it will be open to all Zedlings and will be updated to support the latest version with all of the latest blocks!

More details about our SkyGrid server will be revealed closer to the time, once the 1.17 hype has died down a bit.

Contributing

If you would like to support me in both maintaining Zedwork every day and accomplishing all the above to prepare for the new updates, please consider becoming a Zesty or Zesty+ Subscriber.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Minecraft IGN: Zedwick

Re: [LVS|Zz] Minecraft 1.17!

Postby ABParadigm » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:58 am

I wonder what this could be?

Not the brightest bulb in the box... but at least I'm not the broken bulb.
ABParadigm
Zriend

Minecraft IGN: ABParadigm

Re: Strange Tunnel

Postby Mellorian » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:37 pm

ABParadigm wrote:I wonder what this could be?

The overhanging sandstone stairs are binary, 01010110 00110010, which converts to: V2.

The gaps created by the stairs in the wall are musical notation:

I'm unsure what the black/blue patterning is so far.
Mellorian
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: Mellorian

Postby Zedwick » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:42 pm

Zestyland is back up and running 1.17 with a fresh world. So if you're itching to get a glimpse of some of that fresh new content, grab yourself a Zesty Subscription and connect to mc.zedwork.co.uk:25566.

Zestyland is also available from the lobby, behind the villager's tent. If you're feeling crazy, you can even wander over in 1.16.5 to experience all the new content without actually being able to comprehend any of it. ^_^
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Postby Zedwick » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:13 pm

Good news! LVS will be updating to Minecraft 1.17 tomorrow. I'm sorry this took me a little longer than expected to get everything sorted out, but I don't foresee any further issues. We will be upgrading the world, as has become routine with these updates, which may take a dozen or so hours to complete. Therefore please expect LVS to remain down for most of the day on Monday, but I hope to have it back online by the evening UK-time.

Zz is still waiting for our chosen server software and other plugins to update, so it will likely be another week or two. I hear a lot has changed beneath the surface of this update, as it contains all of the changes needed for the upcoming 1.18 update, so we'll have to be patient whilst developers work to update everything :)

I leave you with this parting wisdom: "Even if you've heard it all before, always take the time to listen to it more."
Zedwick
Guardian

Postby Neytan269 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:03 pm

Just a waiting suggestion: The Impostor, few rounds while waiting to be hosted? To celebrate deepslate and axolotls :D
Warp X Mayor
Neytan269

Minecraft IGN: Neytan269

Postby Zedwick » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:11 am

LVS is currently upgrading to 1.17! Progress at the time of writing is 32%. I am now estimating it will be complete by 6PM BST, however we can never truly know. The server will finish upgrading when it feels like it.

1.17 Will also bring with it our 4th dimension, the Resource Dimension! This dimension will duplicate the overworld, and is intended for you all to be able to gather resources without care for the environment. You will be able to collect all sorts of 1.17 materials from this dimension, and bring them back to your home in the Overworld. More details to come at some future upgrade completion percentage.
Zedwick
Guardian

Postby Zedwick » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:12 pm

LVS is now running Minecraft 1.17!

Thank you for being patient whilst waiting for us to get on the update ^_^

The Resource Dimension is also now full operational. You can access the Resource Dimension from the nether hub, there is a new tunnel with a special portal at the very end.

Just step on through and you will arrive in the dimension, where you can freely explore and gather up all the new (and old) materials!

When you're ready to head back, you'll need to find your way back to the warp pad. The warp pad will always be near to the centre of the dimension; near 0, 0. You will be returned to the normal LVS spawn.

This is a new dimension in the LVS world. You can take your items to and from the dimension and freely chat with all players on LVS, just like the nether and the end.

Please keep in mind this is intended to be a resource dimension, for gathering resources. The Resource Dimension will be periodically reset, so anything you place in this dimension could be lost. Please keep this in mind. However feel free to build infrastructure around the post or temporary farms, but please be aware that it will all be deleted!

The Resource Dimension was brought to you by myself and Dax23333. Be sure to thank Dax for his contribution when you see him!
Zedwick
Guardian

Postby Zedwick » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Good news!

Zz will be updating to Minecraft 1.17 on Thursday the 8th of JuneJuly, 2021!

As we've become accustomed to with updates since 1.13, we'll need to upgrade our world. Zz will be down for several hours on Thursday, but should be back online by the evening.

Please feel free to drop by to hang out in the lobby for the update party ^_^

Zz will also have its own Resource Dimension available immediately following the update. Unlike LVS, there will be no central portal. More details of the Resource Dimension to come on Thursday!
Last edited by Zedwick on Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disconnected the time machine
Zedwick
Guardian

Postby LousyMiner » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:30 pm

Forsooth and forverily, dost thou mean July perchance or are we now able to gambol backwards in time? :D
Keep in touch and out of trouble

LousyMiner [Zz]
LousyMiner

Minecraft IGN: LousyMiner

Next

Return to General Discourse