subdividing the forum topics into LVS / Zurvival

Do you have an idea on how to improve the server? Or have a brilliant idea for an event? Or any other requests? This is the place to voice them.

subdividing the forum topics into LVS / Zurvival

Postby Treiskaideka » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Hello!
Most topics regarding LVS already use the tag [LVS] in the topic name and some people started to use [Zz] for Zurvival.
Especially since the founding of the council in LVS a lot of new topics regulary appear. As it is already difficult to find the right thread, it may be useful to at least subdivide the General Discourse into 3 different categories (LVS, Zurvival and General/both server).
And maybe encourage the people to use the tags [LVS] [Zz] and [All] in the other categories.
What do you think?
Already tagged threads could be moved, everything else old simply left in the All category of General Discourse.
"To tree or not to tree."
Have you read the news recently?
Treiskaideka
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: Treiskaideka

Re: subdividing the forum topics into LVS / Zurvival

Postby Zedwick » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:54 pm

This is something I'd considered, though with the relatively low usage of the forum I'm not sure it's the right time to split up topics further. I would, however, like to make it easier to find all LVS, or all Zz, topics easier; either add a page to list them all or by adding a visual indicator on the post list to highlight them. Both should be doable, will have to see what options are available.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Minecraft IGN: Zedwick

Postby FancySquid » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:36 pm

Or we could just remove all the [Zz] topics entirely!

Whose with me?

chants
LVS! LVS! LVS!
Beaaaard Wizaaaaard!
FancySquid

Minecraft IGN: bartman51

Postby Treiskaideka » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:30 am

I mostly noticed it, when I searched for the region's map thread in General Discourse and looked way back, only to find it in Suggestions/Requests. During that search I also stumbled upon several threads that would have made it much easier for me at the start here.(Starter guide category?, anyone?)

personally, I would rather have moer sub topics with less threads per topic than just the 4 ones we have now even if that means very few topics per category(I mean General Discourse is a very wide definition) ( lol, I also have tons of sub folders on my data drives, usually)

For example, it would make it easier to track the decisions of the LVS Council or the results of various competitions over the time (like seeing what people built or the Halloween skins of last year it would allow to stretch one competition into several threads (like one only for the submissions and discussion of them) without 'littering' one category for all )

But I also see that people could be annoyed by it and it may make more work to firstly move old topics and secondly move new topics into the right category.

Maybe I'm alone with my need of a strucutred forum as not that many people frequent it...
(And I have no idea how much work changing things is)

On the other side, a restructuring may make the forum more appealing, especially for new people, who don't know half of it already because they are for years on zedwork and read all the threads when they were new.
"To tree or not to tree."
Have you read the news recently?
Treiskaideka
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: Treiskaideka

Return to Suggestions/Requests