[Zz] Building on Top of the Nether? (Nether Network)

Do you have an idea on how to improve the server? Or have a brilliant idea for an event? Or any other requests? This is the place to voice them.

[Zz] Building on Top of the Nether? (Nether Network)

Postby lateoclock » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:06 pm

As per conversation with BM261945, mhulse36, and ichimori on the server today, I wanted to bring up the idea of building on top of the Nether.

There's a function of spawning dark oak trees which can allow a player to break through bedrock. I looked through a bunch of reports about this effect, and while there is significant controversy over whether or not it should be fixed, it has yet to be addressed. At least one commenter said that it still works in 1.8.1, so I'm unsure as to Mojang's intentions here.
(a report with pictures and comments: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-10176)

In the end, it's up to Zedwick as to whether he wants to allow it, but I'd like to suggest that it could be used to facilitate building the Nether Network in the new nether up on top where it's flat and open. If allowed, the flat open space would make setting up a rail transport system much easier and more efficient not only construction-wise, but also organizationally.

*I've been told that Zed has said "no" to building on the nether before, so I'd like to clarify that I'm suggesting a particular exception for the Nether Network. Building mob farms and other things up there would be exploitive, but I think it's reasonable to ask for an exception in the case of a transport network.
Last edited by lateoclock on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lateoclock
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: lateoclock

Re: [Zz] Building on Top of the Nether? (Nether Network)

Postby Matt16 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:15 pm

I think this would be great and I agree totally! -mhulse36 :D
mhulse36
Matt16

Minecraft IGN: mhulse36

Postby Treiskaideka » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:19 pm

It would make things much easier. It would be nice, at least for the main lines ect. (should be able to use horses there tho and also transport a bunch of animals per leash)
"To tree or not to tree."
Have you read the news recently?
Treiskaideka
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: Treiskaideka

Postby Memery » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:44 pm

On LVS, building on top of the nether is something we have discussed in the passed. It is not allowed and is punishable by banning. If you were to build on top of the nether with the intention of "making transport easier" spare a thought for LVS who don't have warps and /home. We have a nether hub that links over a hundred players, old and new, together without using the top of the nether. Hearing that Zurvival had built on top would cause outrage.
Without trousers, you can enjoy life a lot more. Wearing a "thong" is just a comfort thing ...
Memery
Zriend

Minecraft IGN: Memery

Postby Zedwick » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:06 pm

Abuse of the bedrock breaking bug had been a little more wide-spread on LVS before I got to comment officially on it. It is a bug, breaking blocks which are designed to not be broken by players is definitely not going to be a bug-turned-feature in Minecraft. So the roof of LVS has some holes in it, and my ruling has been "Well I guess you can go up there, but you cannot build anything significant up there. Once the bug is fixed, I will patch all holes". I view it as gaining an advantage over other players through abusing a bug, and it is for that reason I would not condone it.

With Zurvival, I would prefer if you did not riddle the roof of the nether with holes. I will not allow any builds on top of the nether. I will not give special exception to a community Nether Network, using the flatland up there to bypass digging your own tunnels just seems incredibly cheaty.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Minecraft IGN: Zedwick

Postby Treiskaideka » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Okay, then I guess, that we need to dig a lot of tunnels. At least nether rack is easy to mine.
maybe we can think of something nice that we could build with it. (Or smellt it and use the bricks for the NN. Or let players use it as a base for their tunnels and stairs up to the NN)
Last edited by Treiskaideka on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To tree or not to tree."
Have you read the news recently?
Treiskaideka
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: Treiskaideka

Postby lateoclock » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:41 pm

As for the comparison to LVS, I understand what you're saying but I also feel that A) it's your choice to play without homes and region posts so don't expect me to pity you, and B) because we have those, players are spread out much further than they are on LVS making a nether network a much more extensive job.

Zed's ruling on the issue makes it a moot point though.
I'm confused about what you mean by advantage over other players, when everyone has access to the same glitch. If you care to explain, I'd be interested to understand your point of view, but my confusion is obviously irrelevant to the decision's validity.

Guess it's time to get working on a new tunnel system!
lateoclock
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: lateoclock

Postby Memery » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:28 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause an upset. I choose to play LVS for my own reasons and I'm not jealous of Zurvivals warps :D Just saying that if it's not allowed on one server why should it be allowed on Zurvival? :P Anyway, hope you build a lovely nether network! See if you can get is to be as big as LVS' :D
Without trousers, you can enjoy life a lot more. Wearing a "thong" is just a comfort thing ...
Memery
Zriend

Minecraft IGN: Memery

Return to Suggestions/Requests