Nether

Do you have an idea on how to improve the server? Or have a brilliant idea for an event? Or any other requests? This is the place to voice them.

Nether

Postby DemonInuyahsa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Hey zedwick im tired of constantly making a nether portal usuing once then finding out it doesnt lead back. Could you do a universal Nether resset. Also perhaps ban the making of nether portals and have a hub to prevent this issue form happening again. I know this may be a bit much.
DemonInuyahsa

Re: Nether

Postby Zedwick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:03 pm

I am not sure i have a real opinion on this matter. I'll consider it, it would be helpful to have other players post their thought out opinions here.

On one hand, taking away players' personal nether portal, and the need to create them themselves in survival, seem like a shame.

But yes, the Nether portals are not ideally suited to SMP as they do not reliably link back as a round trip. Can be confusing for anyone trying to use them.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Minecraft IGN: Zedwick

Postby Zedwick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 pm

Had a look at some options.

I can make it so when you go through a portal to the nether, and then go back through the portal you will come out at the same portal. BUT, if you go through ANY portal you will end up back at the same portal you entered the nether through. Negates fast travel linking through the nether, but we may not need this given our region posts.

Alternatively, The Nether gets reset every few weeks. The Nether shouldn't be tameable anyway, right?
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Postby Futurady » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:51 pm

I think both the options are viable but prefer the reset option.

The idea of a reset every couple of weeks would certainly give newer players the opputunity to get easy to access nether items and keep people wanting to explore the nether. But people have already constructed things in the nether so they would need to give their input on the matter I would imagine.

Fast travel through the nether isn't really needed and to be honest I enter via a portal and always leave via /Home so fixing return points wouldn't impact my use of the nether to greatly, so I wouldnt be against the fixed return point on portals either.
Futurady

Minecraft IGN: Futurady

Postby DemonInuyahsa » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:51 am

I agree with the nether reset as it will also get rid of any ugly buildings of long gone players. But you migth wnat to have some sorta warning to it for others and new players.
DemonInuyahsa

Postby DanDan333 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:37 pm

in my opinion, resetting the nether would cause more problems, than just portals. For instance, Blaze farms, if youve spent hours setting one up, then it gets deleted/wiped anyway, you've just lost alot of time, and possibly trades. Same with netherwart farms, although you can, make them above ground, they look better in the nether. Along with whatever youve built there, also, if someone lives, in the nether, their home will be reset every time, which is unfair to them, as that's like resetting the overworld.
DanDan333

Minecraft IGN: DanDan333

Postby Hylindar » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:20 pm

I like the idea of resetting the nether on a regular basis. :)
Hylindar
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: Hylindar

Postby Zedwick » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:34 pm

Obviously if the Nether were to be reset regularly, players would be made aware of this and so would know that anything they did build in the nether would not be permanent.

It could be that whilst I keep everything in the overworld vanilla, I could kit out the nether with some modifications, more interesting generation. Make the Nether an ever changing feature to explore. I know of a few replacement Nether generators to add in ruins, different landscapes, ores etc. I could add one of those, and if the Nether were to be reset regularly these generators could be changed or upgraded, and players would be able to see the new additions after each reset without needing to explore farther and farther out.

One mod, which I would have to actually code as no plugin currently provides this functionality, is to have netherrack "grow" along non-natural nether materials. So if you did build in the nether, you would need to plan for the ever growing nature as it tries to consume your build. This wouldn't need a nether reset.

On that note, netherrack could slowly grow around obsidian. Once it has fully encased it, then grow into and replace the portal area. Any portal which is not maintained by a player (i.e. does not remove the growing netherrack around it) would be disconnected, allowing new portals to be created. Again, this is something which would need to be coded in (as in, may never happen :P)
Zedwick
Guardian

Postby DemonInuyahsa » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:19 am

Wow. I love that mod where Netherrack Grows. I say Aye to that. Too bad it has to be coded. :|
DemonInuyahsa

Postby KittyKatDeath » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:37 pm

I do like the idea of growing Nether Rack, and maintaining a portal. That way I can keep my portal, and the Nether gets a sort of reset anyhow, what with growing Nether Rack. I like that idea better then the entire nether being reset, because it would be a shame to have find another blaze spawner, and grow my Nether Wart on the Otherworld.
~Meow
KittyKatDeath

Return to Suggestions/Requests