New Minigame Idea: Mario Kart

Do you have an idea on how to improve the server? Or have a brilliant idea for an event? Or any other requests? This is the place to voice them.

New Minigame Idea: Mario Kart

Postby lazypsyco » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:50 pm

Game name idea: On Ice!

Ever since boats on ice became a weird and fast travel method, I've always wanted to turn it into an actual race track(s), using it's fast and slippery drift controls. The premise is simple: build a track(s) out of ice that is interesting to race in, then add some extra features to spice things up. I've done this before, got most of the way through the functional side of things, and then stuff happened irl, and I didn't get to finish it; NOT due to lack of interest or time.

Current ideas I have for it:
(Easy) The course(s) take about a minute long to run once.
(Easy) Any number of laps possible.
(Med) Decorations throughout the course with (a) theme(s)
(Easy) Capable of handling an arbitrary* number of racers.
(Med) Command block logic to handle logistics.
(Med) Items (like in Mario Kart) as optional rule.
(Med) Some obstacles and jumps.
(Hard) Maybe a music track? I'm not great with noteblocks.
(Easy) The ability to play as a group or practice solo.
(Hard) grand prix for multiple courses. (With track selection)
(Med) A scoring system, (Hard) perhaps even a leaderboard.

As suggested throughout, I am willing to make multiple courses, each with a unique theme for decorations and track layouts. Once the first track is complete, it should be a matter of copy/paste to add additional tracks, except for layout, decorations, and music.

Like I said, I have already done this before, and it only took a couple days to get the basic functionality working. The thing I dread most is decorating the track. That will be the most time consuming aspect by far, maybe doubling or tripling (probably even more) construction times. I am 100% willing to put in the effort to make it happen, but I could use help from others to speed up development. Suggestions are accepted AND encouraged; I always love better ideas than my own.
ha Ha.
lazypsyco

Minecraft IGN: lazypsyco

Re: New Minigame Idea: Mario Kart

Postby Zedwick » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:17 pm

We've actually worked on this idea in the past too. The main problem we had was the complete lack of control over boats when using commands. You can't push them or throw them into the air when a player is riding them. We really wanted to have some way to make upwards jumps to make a nice loop with verticality.

I'd love to see it made into a Zestygame!
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Minecraft IGN: Zedwick

Postby lazypsyco » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:28 am

Well in my testing, I was able to use slime blocks to launch the boats quite successfully, but you can also edit the nbt data (motion is saved there) to give whatever motion to the boat you desire. I had like 10 jumps on the track, even one that went through a ring of fire, and was fairly consistent. It's definitely something that would have to be tested extensively, but it is viable to add such jumps.
ha Ha.
lazypsyco

Postby lazypsyco » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:56 am

If I was to start working on this, is there any particular protocols/places to work on it?
ha Ha.
lazypsyco

Postby Zedwick » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:49 pm

You can work on it in singleplayer, and submit copies of the world to me via PM on the forums for feedback. You will need to upload the file elsewhere, in the past we have used mega.co.nz. Once it's ready for playtesting I can set it up as an alpha Zestygame on Zedwork. We can also discuss other accommodations or support further down the line once you have a functional game.

I'm afraid I don't have a complete list of requirements, but generally we are looking for games which can be hosted and run with little to no setup from the host. The host cannot moderate the game, so players need to be able to choose to play/spectate on their own, and the game should be able to run without any one player being able to mess it up (for example, a single "start game" button which would then block players joining once pressed by any one player would not be ideal. Similarly having track-select or other options fiddled with by players between games could cause problems, however that could be made available in a private (invite-only) variant, but not in the publicly hosted variant).

Please make the game in an empty void world. Keep in mind server performance where you can (try not to run to many commands at any one time, only run game commands during the game, only run any special gadget commands when the gadget is in play, etc.). We cannot guarantee a specific number of players, so it should be able to support any number of players, between 1 and 10 for example. Handling late-joins to either allow them to spectate or join in if applicable is encouraged.

I'm happy to answer more questions and offer advice at any time, so feel free to send me messages to keep me up to date on your progress. Once you have a functional prototype we might be able to work out a way for other builders to get involved on Zedwork, but you can always ask for structure file submissions from the community.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Minecraft IGN: Zedwick

Postby lazypsyco » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:27 pm

Ok, I will get started right away!
ha Ha.
lazypsyco

Return to Suggestions/Requests